Veggie Sausage and White Bean Stew
Sara is working on the research for her PhD dissertation. It’s a grueling process that so far has been full of much excitement and some major lows. At times, it seems like this study is taking over our house. I’m glad that I can at the very least be a support for her during this process because of love, and because I really believe in the work that she’s doing. And of course, the way that I best offer support is with food. Yesterday we were badly in need of something comforting around here, so I decided to make this hearty stew coupled with homemade pull-apart rolls because, really, what is more comforting than freshly-baked bread? I think this will be a good recipe to keep around for the long, cold months coming up.
|Veggie Sausage and White Bean Stew|
Recipe type: Soup
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 50 mins
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb Gimme Lean vegetarian sausage
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup marsala cooking wine
- 1 15oz can Great Northern beans
- 1 bunch curly kale, stems removed, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven. Crumble the sausage into the pot and saute until browned (about 5 minutes). Remove sausage from pot and set aside.
- Heat the remaining Tbsp of olive oil in the pot and add the onion, celery and carrots. Saute until soft, about 7 minutes. Add flour, rosemary, and salt and saute for 2 more minutes. Add wine, beans with liquid, kale, broth, and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over rosemary pull-apart rolls.